The child adoption procedure in Azerbaijan is regulated by Sections 117-135 of Family Code of the Republic of Azerbaijan and Order 172 of the Cabinet of Ministries of the Republic of Azerbaijan of 20 September 2000.
The citizen of the Republic of Azerbaijan has to collect the necessary documents (a list of documents is attached) for the initial registration and appeal to Guardianship and Trustee Committee of Executive Power of the district, where he/she is on the passport registration, in order to be registered.
Adopter wishing to adopt a child in the 0-3-years age group should submit its documents to the Ministry of Health, and adopter wishing to adopt a child in the 3-18 years age group should submit its documents to the Ministry of Education. The international adoption service is provided by the State Committee for Family, Woman and Children Affairs.
According to Section 120 of Family Code of the Republic of Azerbaijan, mature-age applicants of both sexes may apply to adopt a child, excluding:
1. Applicants declared by the court as incapable or partially capable;
2. Applicants, who have been deprived of their parental rights by the court and/or whose parental rights have been limited;
3. Applicants released from the guardian or trustee responsibilities for improper fulfillment of obligation conferred on them by law;
4. Applicants previously convicted and deprived of parental rights by the court;
5. Applicants unable to exercise their parental rights due to their health problems;
6. The list of diseases for which an applicant is not allowed to adopt a child and take on the guardianship of the child is specified by the relevant executive authority. (Order 141 of the Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Azerbaijan of 15 August 2000)
7. Unmarried couples cannot adopt the same child jointly